Saturday, January 24, 2009

potential

Potential is something I have been thinking on lately.
Last night I watched a review of the movie Revolutionary Road.

I like this channel. Check them out.

Anyways the old man in the video was talking about Leonardo DiCaprio's character who is living this suburban lifestyle and loves to write. He wants to be a writer. The old guy in the video was saying that he thought that the tragedy of the story was that he wanted to be something that he did not have potential to be.

That really struck me. I realized that I spend so much time beating myself up for not being what I want to be....... but if I don't even have the potential to be what I want.... then what is the use? How the hell does one know his/her potential? I just came up completely blank.

Well this life is sure a challenge and if it was not it would be no fun.

2 comments:

Lori said...

One sure-fire way of figuring out one's potential is to try bunches of things...especially in classes, either at a community college or community center or wherever. But to interact and engage with others who have experienced some fulfillment within a certain is my point.
And I use the word "fulfillment" and not "success" because I know there are LOADS of people who leave this earth having accomplished much but who are considered failures by others. Just consider all the artists who gain world-wide recognition after they die. The point is that you do what you're passionate about, come hell or high water. Find fulfillment by faithfully engaging in your passions and you will have reached your potential whether anyone recognizes it or not. Period.

Lori said...

add the word "area" after "certain." woops.