Thursday, August 7, 2008

Working interview

Today i got my first interview! yay!... or maybe not.
So there is this place on Alberta St. called Lolo's... it is a tapas bar (can be mistaken for a topless bar when said).
Well there is a dishwasher position available there. So i put in my resume and have been bugging them for the last 3 days. today i went in and talked to Rick the chef and I was in the kitchen and he said "Come in and work for tonight and i will have the other 2 guys work tomorrow and the next night and whoever works the hardest gets the job." so i said "ok, I can work tonight." So i rode home as fast as i could to change and get back... but on the way my stomach dropped as i remembered that I have a ticket for a show at the Doug Fir of the band "Nomo" http://www.myspace.com/nomomusic at 9 pm. So i thought, "damn... well I remember at my last job that the working interviews lasted for about 3 hous so maybe i can go in work for 3 and leave in time to get to the show. So I got home and called him up and said "So I remembered that I something going on at 9 so i could work until 8 if that would be cool?" and he said "What do you have going on?' I said "Well my brother bought tickets for a show tonight." so he said "Well what is more important a concert or work?" I said "I don't know how to answer that." What a bull-shit question! Totally loaded. If i say 'concert' then i seem like a ass-hole who has terrible work ethic and if i say 'work' then I shaft my brother Dan who bought these tickets about 3 weeks ago. I know it was my mistake to not remember because of excitement of working. So he said "Well I will have these other 2 guys come in and if they don't work out then i will give you a call." "Ok thx, bye" i said. Going away with a feeling of "wtf just happened". I am sorry dude but this concert comes first because of scedualling. Riding my bike back from the place to get changed i was wondering about him.. something about him i did not like from day 1 of talking to me.... but i tend to be judgemental so i kept supressing the feeling and thinking that i should not judge. Well i am somewhat disappointed and part relieved. It think he was a bit pissed that he was not going to have a dishwasher for tonights service. I hope to find a kitchen with a little more excitement like the Tin Shen for instance. That place is always packed and the people working there ae nice and friendly... not just bored and stressed. The search continues.

2 comments:

Snl said...

You have to be more careful next time! Good luck on your search!

Unknown said...

What a bummer Matt! I am glad you got to enjoy the concert with your brothers. First off, it is CRITCAL to know your schedule well enough to avoid that type of situation-

EMP: are you available to work tonight?
MATT: No, I have a prior committment.
Enough said.

Once you've told him yes, then go back on your word, the employer doesn't know if you are just coming up with excuses to get out of working. I bet he'd rather not hire THAT guy. Who could blame him?
NEXT TIME: If you have to rewind in a situation like this, you act super apologetic, you don't give him specifics of your other plans (all he needs to know is that you had a preexisting engagement/ appointment and that it is personal). You could save face by offering to switch with one of the other interviewees or offer to work two nights in a row instead of one- whatever- you try the best to give another solution. Ultimately, job opportunities are very competive, so he doesn't have to listen to your excuses at all. If he has three people coming in to do one job, he's looking for a reason to it narrow down. He's got to tell two of those three guys NO. You have to convince him why he should tell you YES.