Thursday, July 24, 2008

Neighbors

It's been a while.....
Well I got some new neighbors and they have a different way of living than I.
Last night I woke up at 4 am to an argument(these happen 3-4 nights a week) right outside my window of these two brothers yelling at each other about 6 feet from my open window. I do not settle differences by yelling like these two guys. I guess I think that it is much more comfortable and constructive to speak calmly to one another but that does not always happen since emotions tend to run high when arguing... well at lease with me.
Back to the neighbors....
So they are constantly arguing an fighting and it has gotten physical a few times. So these neighbors are loud and obnoxious... and friendly. The other week I was playing the drums and one of the guys living next door came over and said "You should play faster." I said "Aww no, I can't go much faster then that. I am a very casual drummer." Then he proceeded to talk about his brother and was smoking right outside my open windows... so needless to say my house reeked like smoke.... but not usual smoke.... OLD smoke. It smelled so old, like the breath of a 90 year old who has smoke for all his life with minimal brushing. It took 2 hours of all the doors and windows being open to clear the house with breathable air.
So after I ignored him while pretending to do yard work he went away. It did not hit me until I was talking to Anthony my roomate. What an ass! My goodness! At the time I was a little embarrased about being listened to while playing the drums and did not realize how rude he was being. Hey thx mr. neighbor for letting me know that I "should play faster". Dude, back off. Intrusion allert! Man I can't wait to move out!

But all the being said you will have to know that I brought this is all on myself in a way because a day earlier I had listened to him talk about himself for about 2 hours while I did yard work and was doing some makshift fixes on the rotten fence between us. Apperently I showed too much intrest in listening to him.
Oh the greatest thing of all is when I will be in my room and he will start to talk to me while I am watching Hell's Kitchen or something through my window. He can't see me but he can hear activity. Last week he even tryed to talk to me when I was up at 4 in the morning(couldn't sleep). So I feel like a captive in my own home carful not to make to much noise just incase he takes interest in what I am doing and comes over or talks to me through my window. I guess he does not see it as rude.
Well I will be moving soon so I will not have to deal with them.

5 comments:

Chris-Tina Moreno said...

Matt - great blog entry - very funny - I know you didn't make it up, though. Some people (it seems like a lot of people) don't have much social sense, or maybe they are just lonely enough not to care

Lori said...

Yes, it sounds like he might be lonely. And one always is trading troubles with change: at the new place, you may not get so much unsolicited drumming advice as evening visits from the gaggle of preschoolers down the street who regularly show up yelling to see Abey-Baby. Oh yeah, and middle of the night visits from Jesse, the stupid and evil neighbor cat who likes to come in through our cat door for a creepy stare while you sleep...

Unknown said...

So I am a little behind in reading your posts. I bet living with a family with a baby will bring you some nice positive energy. Babies get up in the morning. They squeal. They pee. They remind us all that life goes on. Personally, I find them rather engaging and encouraging. Next time you are feeling disconnected from life, hang with a baby. He'll scream vitality...

Unknown said...

Oh, and this made me think of you:

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.”
--Mark Twain

He basically supports my list making theory.

Lori said...

Post again, Matt! The blog-land needs you! You know I've got you linked to my blog, and us Rooneys are sorta famous in Blog-land, you know (and isn't Stephanie the best?).